Author Topic: truck question  (Read 6367 times)

saltflat

• View Profile
truck question
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
How many of you guys run some type of a locking device on your front end? Some say leave it open but im just curious if any of you do it and what bad things have happened because of it......

tornado_tech

• View Profile
Re: truck question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
I used to run an open in mine when bought mine as it had a manual rack and pinion steering in it as it took a bit of energy to turn the wheel with the front end turning.  Mine is now set up with an Ox locker in the front as it has a hydraulic ram used for steering which absolutely has no play or give in it.  With an open you can use the front end to assist you to stay in the ruts but with a locker up front if it goes in the ruts and you have your wheels pointed the opposite way it can rip the steering wheel away from your hands to try and allow the tires to follow the ruts but I really built mine for deep pits as I want all 4 boggers to churn.  My old street stock truck had a Lok-right in the front and it would try and follow the ruts but I had a hydro-boost from a diesel truck in it.  It really depends on how much hp and torque you got to turn all 4 axles and the deepness of the pits of it was built for. 

Mudracin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
I ran my ten bolt up front for 6 years welded up, and had to replace axle joints now and then, and one time the 5th year one side broke pulled me to the wall and rolled, but other than that no problems, I was open last year and had too much chassis twist so it took all the weight off the drivers front and it spun like crazy and the passenger side seemed to drag. Alot depends on the truck set up and hp/ weight, and if you are running in mud or dragging it in my opinion. But some people swear by running them open...

moneymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
we run a  limited slip in our 10 bolt for 3 years now and no problems, truck drives good except on  really dry tracks. my son runs his open and can still out do our truck on fast track and bogs   >:( >:(

hyperactive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
I had a welded frontend 1 time and when the axle broke i went into the crowd. That was not fun at all. This year im going to try a posi unit up front and run a powered rack and pinion.

Mudracin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:42:49 AM »
I had a welded frontend 1 time and when the axle broke i went into the crowd. That was not fun at all. This year im going to try a posi unit up front and run a powered rack and pinion.

2 mud runs in a row.... and earned the name 'CAPTAIN HOOK'  :o ;D ;D  all joking aside that was crazy, happened very fast, and the worst draw back to having the front end soild weather welded or spool!!  Never want to get hurt or hurt anyone, just want to have fun!!

saltflat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
Im kinda wonderin with how fast all of our pits are if its really even needed. Seems like every year it gets faster and faster

Mudracin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »
Yep everyone works on their trucks and they run better every year!!  All the little things add up, mostly depends on your set up and how much maintance you want to do.  Going to be alot of improved rigs this year as well as alot I know of being built... Gonna be a fun and interesting year!!

spoilt racing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »
for no $$ we shimed the spiders tight prob 9yrs ago - we broke a axle prob 5r6yrs ago... most trouble with fronteds i ever had was pulling teeth off ring gears few times  <i run a sbc>   

Rusty